When tracking time on mobile devices, it could happen that internet connections are unstable or disappear. Exactly for that reason we developed Offline mode for mobile devices so staff members can keep jibbling In/Out, even when in remote areas.
Setting up offline mode for your staff
To set up offline mode for your team you will need to:
- Activate the Mobile+ power-up: Go to Power-Ups > Mobile+ and enable the power-up for your team.
- Enable the policy for your team members: By default, offline mode only available to admins and team managers. To enable it for team members, navigate to Settings > Policies > Allow team members to use personal offline mode on mobile. Set the policy to ‘Allow'.
- Explain to your staff that they can now jibble in and out while offline: If needed, staff members can switch it off from their Settings screen in the mobile app.
Enable the offline mode policy for team members in Settings > Policies
Staff can start using offline mode once they see the toggle above in their Settings screen.
How it works
When offline mode is enabled, staff members can Jibble In/Out as usual, however IF the internet connection disappears they will still be able to clock in out:
- You can recognize offline mode by the indicator on the screen
- All time entries are saved on the device, so keep in mind that you have to connect back to the internet to make sure the data is synced with the server before it’s available on web.
- Some policies might not work in offline mode (see below)*
- The Home and Timesheet screens are disabled when there is no internet connection.
Offline view in kiosk mode
Offline view in personal mode
Limitations when using Offline Mode:
There are limitations when it comes to using offline mode especially when in personal offline mode. There are certain features that will be disabled and policies that will be ignored when there is no Internet connection. The following policies will be ignored:
- Server clock (We can’t check the server without an internet connection)
- Geolocation and geofencing (We can’t verify a location without an internet connection)
Screens such as the Home and Timesheet screens will also be disabled when there is no connection.
Identifying Offline Entries
When a user adds a time entry when offline, it will be indicated on the time entry modal and the timesheet views.
The time entry modal
On the time entry modal you will see text mentioning that the entry has been added while offline as shown in the screenshot below.
There will be a red indicator next to the entry on the daily timesheet, next to the day during which the entry was made on the weekly timesheet view and next to the week during which the entry was made on the monthly timesheet view.
Daily Timesheet View
Weekly Timesheet View
Monthly Timesheet View