Once you have activated the Export power-up, you can download weekly or monthly timesheets in Excel (.XLS) format to use with your spreadsheet program.
How it works
When you go to your timesheets overview, you can click the Export button at the bottom of the timesheet. A modal will pop-up with a few options:
Summary or Detailed Logs:
- If you leave this field blank, you will only download a summary of all times for the selected period
- If you select "All Members", you will download a summary and all time logs for your team members
- If you have dozens or hundreds of members and only need a specific employee's time entries, you can simply select his her name in this field.
Show Individual time entries in separate tabs:
- When left unchecked you will download a file with a summary tab and a tab with a complete list of In/Out entries like this:
- If you check this box you will see all team members' time entries in separate tabs like this:
You can choose a predefined range (current week, last week, current month, last month) or select a custom date range that must span less than or equal to 31 days
Once you have adjusted the settings for your export file, you can hit Generate. The XLS file will be ready in about a minute (refresh the page) or you can open it from the e-mail that is sent to you.
The generated time sheet will be in in Excel (.XLS) format which can be used with most spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel or Apple's Numbers, but also with Google Sheets which is free to use.
When you download the summary overview you will have an Excel file that looks like this:
As you can see, we downloaded a timesheet for the week (15 May until 21 May). The report will include summaries of:
- Employee total hours
- Employee hours sub-total per client (if you are using Client Billing)
- Employee hours sub-total per activity (if you are using Activity Tracking)
So in this example, Angelica spent 7.73 hours (7 hours and 43 minutes) on Monday on development for Umbrella Corporation.
Note: you can change the time format from decimal to HH:MM by changing your user settings. You can learn more about that in this help article.
The detailed logs per individual
If you checked "Show Individual time entries in separate tabs", when exporting, you will get an additional worksheet for each member that will look something like this:
These logs will list out details of each time entry for the week/month you selected. From left to right:
- Whether In or Out (note that an "In" is counted as an "Out" if the preceding entry was also an "In")
- The exact time when someone jibbled In/Out
- The duration of the activity they jibbled In for
- Client (if available)
- Activity (if available)
- Any notes added whilst making the In/Out entry
In some cases you might see the text PREV IN. This basically means "previous in" and it will be recorded if a time entry passes midnight.
Example: I jibble in at 07:48am on 8 August, but I never jibble out. On 9 August I jibble in again at 08:49am. In this case the report wil show the following:
- On 8 August, I have an IN entry at 07:48am, the total activity time duration for this IN is registered as 16 hours and 11 minutes (from 07:48am until 12.00am midnight).
- On 9 August, the unfinished IN is registered as PREV IN with the same registration time as the original (07:48am). The total activity time duration for this action is 8 hours and 49 minutes as I clocked in again at 8:49am (from 12am midnight, until 08:49am).
You can download an example timesheet Excel file here.